When you have a tracotor that does not want to work with you and the starter is bad and “roll starting” isn’t quite an option… Here is a completely different (and potentially dangerous) way to start a tractor using the Power Take-off. The things you will need is a ratcheting tie-down, a car, and a lovely and skilled assistant.
Here are Some Key Points:
1) Make sure the tractor’s transmission is in neutral
2) Make sure the throttle is set to idle and the fuel cut-off properly set
3) Use the highest Power Take-off speed you have
4) Whatever you do, do not tie or attach the strap to the actual PTO shaft – it should fall away when the end is reached
5) The clutch operator needs to press the clutch in before the pull vehicle moves and release it very slowly throughout the pull so none of the components are “shock loaded”. Best to do this on dirt/gravel using a light pull vehicle .
6) The pull vehicle operator should continue pulling until the strap is well clear of the PTO implement
There are a ton of hazards here that you need to watch out for – if you don’t feel 100 percent confident around dangerous machines, don’t even attempt this – you can easily injure or kill yourself here.